Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sources: Amazon for Spectator Shoes

Summer is the season for the elegant, classic spectator shoe.

I've never owned a pair, but I've always wanted to. I think I may pull the trigger this year.

This pair of Florsheims, called the Marlton, is available from Amazon in either brown-and-white, black-and-white, or two-tone brown. The brown and white will definitely be my first pair of the three choices.

It's true that Florsheim isn't what it used to be.

And purists will note that the Marlton is all-leather, whereas with classic spectators, the lighter-colored (usually white) areas are supposed to be either reverse-calf (suede) or cotton mesh.

But the only pure spectators on the market that I'm aware of cost a fortune (such as around $1,000 for Edward Greens), and even better-made all-leather pairs (such as from Allen-Edmonds) are north of $300.

From what I've read, the Marlton is sewn, not glued. So, for a shoe that's only in season for three months per year -- and even then won't be worn often, I expect it to be more than serviceable for many years.

I'll report back if I buy them.

No comments: