Monday, January 28, 2013

Photo: Amjack "Formal"

I saw this picture somewhere on the web and had to share it. This seems to be the high school/college age "formal" uniform today:

1. Black shirt. For the life of me, I cannot understand where in the world anyone has gotten the idea that dress shirts are supposed to be black. (Occasionally the shirt will be in some other off-, non-dress shirt color, like red.)

2. Black, long tie. (Sometimes changed for another solid tie, usually in a gaudy color, and with a shiny, satin finish.) This guy's is tied way too long.

3. No jacket. I also can't understand for the life of me where so many guys have gotten the idea that dressing up involves not wearing a jacket. (If there is anything approximating a proper dress jacket, it too will be solid black, with the sleeves down to the knuckles and with all of the buttons closed. Someone who wears such a thing is likely to take it off as soon as he gets indoors. Other, non-dress jackets -- like leather ones, usually also black -- are also sometimes seen.) 

We've left the options; the following are mandatory.   

4. Solid black slacks, with a flat front and too tight in the crotch and thighs. 

5. Cheap, glued, square-toed, Kenneth Cole-type shoes.

I sincerely hope (but am not at all confident) that this is a trend with a limited shelf life, and that someday these guys will look back on this the way men today look back on their baby blue tuxedos from the 1970s. 

I will never understand the appeal of all black or of duck-billed shoes. 

1 comment:

Zack Flummerfelt said...

Mr. Kramer,

From a fellow Wichitan who admires though not always dresses in classic menswear, I agree with this post. Most men over thirty-five know what dressing up is even if they never do it. I think the younger generation is just bone ignorant on such things. However, I have been guilty of the square-toed shoe thing myself from time to time.

Anyway, on top of the nice columns here and LRC thanks for turning me on to the inspiring works of the late Harry Browne and of course the great classical menswear enthusiast Will Boehlke's wonderful blog.