Saturday, June 1, 2013

Other Bloggers on WASP 101

Guiseppe and Yankee Whiskey Papa have both weighed in on Christian Chensvold's "outing" of "Richard from WASP 101. Both feel that Christian was wrong, as do I. According to YWP, he already knew who "Richard" really was, and so did several other bloggers -- and they chose to keep it a secret. 

(Guiseppe, by the way, was "outed" last fall by the Boston Globe, but I take it he allowed it, as he cooperated with the feature story about him, and still prominently links to it on the homepage of his blog. I had always assumed that he was already "out," because I naively thought that Guiseppe Timore was his real name; the possibility that it was a pseudonym never occurred to me.) 

But, even though I agree that "Richard" should've been allowed to keep his anonymity, he made himself a lightning rod with his persona and outlandish stories (many of which I still think were fictional, or at least embellished). As I've written, I not only always wondered who he was, but whether he was even real and whether his blog was meant to be serious -- or whether it was extremely subtle satire and he was supposed to be some kind of fictional character, like a sophisticated sociological experiment or a very involved, Andy Kaufman-esque joke.

By contrast, I also enjoy Yankee Whiskey Papa's blog, but I've never wondered -- nor cared -- for a second who he really is. If someone "outed" him, I admit I'd probably Google him out of curiosity and read what I could find for maybe five minutes. But, unless it turned up something really interesting, I'd quickly get bored and forget about it -- and I certainly wouldn't care enough to write about it even once, much less multiple times, like I am with WASP 101. 

Anyway, it looks like Chensvold unwittingly made himself the villain in all of this. I wonder if he now wishes he could undo his decision.

2 comments:

Anasazi said...

It's nice to see your blog, and thanks for linking to Thrift Store Preppy, as I've now done for your site. The Guiseppe story in The Boston Globe, though it happened a while back, is news to me. I was out of the blogging loop for a few months after moving away from NYC. I've always liked the postings on An Affordable Wardrobe, and it seems that things were taken in good stride. I think with WASP 101, things have gotten out of hand.

Although I rarely read Richard's site, I understand that he posted some pretty vile things. I've never seen such animosity directed toward a blogger before. I think this is one fight, having given an opinion, that I'll stay out of, or at least try do do so. I look forward to seeing more from you on your site.

Jeanne Brooks said...

I'm a reader of the Yankee Wiskey Papa blog and had no idea about the world of men's fashion blogs. This entire incident is frightening to a new blogger.