Saturday, August 30, 2014

Jimmy Stewart's Trad Boys

I was just looking at pictures for another possible Jimmy Stewart post. I came across this picture of him on his way to an Easter church service with his family, probably in the 1950s. 

Look at his two stepsons: these must be the tradliest kids I've ever seen -- 3-roll-2 navy blazers with two-button sleeves; repp ties (at least on the boy on the right; the left boy's I can't tell for sure); gray flannel slacks with big cuffs (I'm not a big fan of the no-break look on men, even though it's very trad, but it's perfectly acceptable on growing boys); proper black shoes and white shirts; and even white pocket squares. 

When was the last time you saw a grown man, much less a child, dressed this well?




1 comment:

Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke said...

The last time I saw adults and children dressed this nicely for a religious service? The late 70s or early 80s. How sad that people have lost that sense of respect and putting on one's best for a special occasion in the interim. As if looking really nice for a few hours is somehow going to kill you.

Best Regards,

Heinz-Ulrich von B.