Monday, January 26, 2015

House and Home: Post-Christmas Winter Decorating

(Yes, Giuseppe, I'm stealing your home decor title. I couldn't think of anything better; it's perfect.) 

It's odd how something that's obvious in hindsight doesn't occur to you until someone else points it out.

I suppose it's even more odd when such a thing spontaneously occurs to you on your own, without anyone else pointing it out. That's what happened to me the past few days.

I've written before about how my favorite time of year is Christmas, and how I'm always sad every January when it passes. If we were re-doing things, it'd make more sense to celebrate Christmas on January 25 -- and even to return New Year's to March 1 (although that would cause other problems that might not be worth spacing holidays more evenly). The holiday season is packed too tightly, especially since it's followed by a long, cold, boring January.

Anyway, one of the things I hate most about Christmas passing is how barren my house looks after all of the decorations are removed.

But I finally figured out the past few days that my problem isn't only removing the Christmas decorations; it's that I've always replaced them with decorations that look too much like spring, and too out-of-season for January, when winter has just begun.

I think I knew this sub-consciously for some time, as evidenced by my toying with the idea the past few years of leaving the Christmas decorations up at least until the end of January, or probably until Candlemas on February 2. But I always rejected that, primarily because I knew that doing so would make the decorations less special, and their specialness is part of why I love them so. You may love the day, but you also know it means nothing without the night.

So I would take them down on time, and replace them with connotations of spring -- silk flowers in the living room and on the dining room table, which would also get a tablecloth in a color like yellow or pink.

Finally it dawned on me the other day: I need to ease the transition from Christmas to spring with decorations that look like winter, but not like Christmas. No nativity scenes, Santas, poinsettias, wreaths, red ribbons, or anything that literally has the word "Christmas" printed anywhere on it. But plenty of things like snowmen or arrangements made of things like evergreen branches, sticks and pinecones. 

So here is the seasonally-appropriate, winter-but-not-Christmas decor I've enjoyed this month:

  • Silver damask tablecloth from Bed, Bath and Beyond, which gives the dining room a snowy/icy connotation (purchased on after-Christmas clearance for about $8.00)
  •  Evergreen arrangement with sticks, pine cones and red berries, connected at the bottom to bundled sticks, in the crystal vase in the living room where I previously put silk flowers in January (purchased on after-Christmas clearance at Gordman's for $7.00; it included three small poinsettias, which I removed but saved, and a red velvet ribbon around the sticks near the bottom, which I cut off)
  • Evergreen and pine cone arrangements on the dining room table and coffee table, along with a couple of snowmen and a wooden "snow" sign on various other tables, all left over from Christmas (this Christmas, I'll save this generic winter stuff for January, and I'll be on the lookout during this year for more overtly Christmas arrangements for the dining and coffee tables; with the other tables, the snowmen, etc. won't need to be replaced, because I have so much Christmas stuff that I was having a hard time fitting them in with it anyway)
This winter decor has been a massive success for coping with the post-Christmas let-down, and for decorating the house for winter in a way that's seasonally-appropriate, but still doesn't look too much like Christmas. I highly recommend it. 

No comments: